Twelve Step Program for Energy Addicts
These days, many programs for treating addictions use a "12-Step" approach as a way to focus attention on the healing process, so we developed this Twelve Step Program for energy addicts based on the work of the healers at the Interfaith Coalition on Energy.
1. We admit that we are powerless over our use of energy—that our addiction to energy use has become unmanageable and is destroying Earth.
2. We believe that a Power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity and wholeness.
3. We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand God.
4. We made a searching and fearless inventory of our uses of energy.
5. We admit to God, to ourselves, and to another inhabitant of Earth the exact nature of our inappropriate use of energy.
6. We are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. We humbly ask God to remove our shortcomings.
8. We made a list of all the inhabitants of Earth we have harmed and are willing to make amends.
9. We made direct amends to other inhabitants of Earth whenever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. We continue to keep records of energy use and when we are using too much, we promptly will reduce our use of energy.
11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our relationship with God; praying for knowledge of God’s will for creation, and the power to fulfill it.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we will try to carry this message to others who waste energy, and to practice these principles in our lives.
Contributed by Rev. John H. Jackson
Co-Founder of Presbyterians for Restoring Creation